Not just an idea...a life changing experience.

Freedom Thirty Five is all about experiencing life, not waiting until I'm 65 to retire. I want to see things I have never seen, meet new people, take on new challenges, make new friends and reconnect with old ones.



Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 43-44 – Ear Surgery in Englewood, CO – April 5th - April 6th, 2011

I was scheduled for surgery early on the morning of April 5th.  So I made arrangements to stay with a couch surfer that lived nearby the clinic where I would be getting the surgery.  Our hostess Heather was very nice and lived in a nice little house with two dogs and a cat, all very friendly animals, she took us to a great Indian restaurant, nearby, and we shared stories of European travel.
The surgery was to remove a cyst that had formed on the end of my mastoid bone and was protruding into my ear canal and blocking it.  For 3 months I had tried using anti-biotics, draining it, and finally had to resort to surgery.  My ear doctor in Greenville gave me a referral to an ear doctor in Denver so the surgery would have minimal impact my trip.  The surgery went as planned and Rose picked me up and took me home by 11AM, where I just slept the rest for the day and night.  The next day we packed up and headed for the mountains to the town of Carbondale near Aspen.  Unfortunately there will be no skiing for me, since I cannot ski, run, or lift more than 10lbs. for the first 3 weeks.  The incision that they put in the back of my ear could easily tear if strained too much.  This will be the first time in over 10 years that I have to take that much time off running.  Rose is definitely up for a challenge as some of you know I am hooked on endorphins and get moody when I don’t get my daily fix.  We still plan on camping and hiking though, just nothing too intense.   We will be working our way through the interior of Colorado, stopping in Carbondale, Telluride, Black Canyon NP, Mesa Verde National Park, the four Corners then to Utah and our Woof (volunteer farm work) near Monticello.

No comments:

Post a Comment