Not just an idea...a life changing experience.

Freedom Thirty Five is all about experiencing life, not waiting until I'm 65 to retire. I want to see things I have never seen, meet new people, take on new challenges, make new friends and reconnect with old ones.



Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 136 – Final Preparations for Katmai – July 7th, 2011

When I returned to Anchorage, I spent the next two nights staying with Edra, a wonderful couchsurfing hostess.  Edra is actually friends with my hostess from Spokane, WA Sandra, so she had no problem hosting me since I came well endorsed.  I spent the evening sorting out some gear and catching up with Edra and Abe, who was also CS with me.  The next day was all business, reading emails, packing, planning, buying a map (the only one in Anchorage), and booking flights to and from Brooks’s camp.  The grocery shopping was the most challenging chore; I went out and spent $160 on groceries trying to get enough food for 10 days of backpacking.  I have never backpacked more than 5 days in the past, so this was especially challenging, but I think in the end I managed to get more than enough food (I ended up with enough to last me a month, so I’ll be well stocked for the drive back down to the lower 48).  I wrapped up the evening at Taproot and got to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment