Not just an idea...a life changing experience.

Freedom Thirty Five is all about experiencing life, not waiting until I'm 65 to retire. I want to see things I have never seen, meet new people, take on new challenges, make new friends and reconnect with old ones.



Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 159-160 Glacier National Park – July 30-31st, 2011

Jeep Odometer:  298574 km
Trip Odometer:  20406 miles

I arrived in Glacier NP to find out all but two of the campsites were full!  Since most are first come first served, I was really surprised, but there was one campsite along the going to the sun road still open.  So I drove there as fast I could which is to say I waited in construction lines and traffic a lot but eventually arrived at the campsite.  It was not a big deal because the scenery was amazing!  This is really one of the most scenic drives I have ever been on.  I managed to secure one of the last sites available for 2 nights.    After setting up camp I took a nap, and then went for a run up to Avalanche Lake.  It’s a very popular 2 mile hike to the lake, but since I arrived near sunset I had the place to myself.  It was stunning, a lake surrounded bony steep canyon walls with at least 5 waterfalls flowing into the lake.  The sun was hitting the valley walls perfectly!  I returned to camp for dinner and some sleep.
The next day I woke up early, I wanted to beat some of the traffic on the going to the sun road.  I drove up to Logan’s Pass, and then headed out on the hike to hidden lake.  Most of the hike was snow covered, but pretty well walked, so an easy hike, however the scenery is awesome, and lots of wildlife too.  I saw 4 Mountain Goats, and several marmots that were whistling at me.  After returning back to my car, I decided to spend the rest of the day skiing.  There was so much snow in the area and the weather was great low 80s (F) and sunny.  I did several rounds of hiking up and skiing down, it was a great afternoon, especially since it was July 30th and I was skiing!  Afterwards I did a bit more driving and made a few stops along the Going to the sun road before returning to camp for a nap.  When I woke I started to prep dinner, when a young backpacker by the name of Pete and asked if he could share my campsite.  All of the campsites were full, and they charge the same rate if there are 1 or 6 people on the site.  So I spent some time talking to Pete and found him from California, but currently in school in North Dakota to become a helicopter pilot for the army.  Another interesting encounter indeed. 
The next day I dropped Pete off at Lake MacDonald on my way out.  I went for a quick run and then drove to Whitefish.  I wanted to visit the Great Northern Brewery on my way to Missoula.

No comments:

Post a Comment