Not just an idea...a life changing experience.

Freedom Thirty Five is all about experiencing life, not waiting until I'm 65 to retire. I want to see things I have never seen, meet new people, take on new challenges, make new friends and reconnect with old ones.



Monday, November 7, 2011

FTF Day 253-255 - Baton Rouge, Louisiana - Nov. 1st-3rd, 2011


A quiet couple days in Baton Rouge

I decided to stop in Baton Rouge in place of New Orleans, for 2 reasons:  I was not looking to party or get crazy after such the Halloween weekend in Austin.  I arrived and was greeted by host Nathan at his home on the Southern edge of the city.  He introduced me to his daughter, and showed me around his place.  He had a done a number of home improvement projects including a hot tub installation, and a roof over his patio complete with integrated lights, speakers and ceiling fan.  Very well done work!  He made dinner that night too, that included okra, something I had not had in months, a proper southern delight.  Nathan also brews his own beer, and blueberry wine.  I got to sample quite a bit of both.  The blueberries comes from his father’s farm.  
The next morning Nathan took me down to the LSU campus for a run around the lake.  It was beautiful was, and we had decent 4 mile run.  Later I headed into the downtown Baton Rouge, I visited the state Capitol building.  Built in 1931 it is the tallest state capitol in the country and it does not have the traditional dome shape, but rather it is a 29 story art deco building.  I visited the observation deck and checked out an exhibit on the assassination Huey P. Long, the man that built the building while he was governor.  Later I walked the downtown area for a bit, the waterfront, and finally the Louisiana State Museum.  That evening I took Nathan and his daughter out for dinner, where we had alligator, and a gumbo as well.
The next day I headed out early en route to Panama City, driving through New Orleans in a rain storm.



FTF Day 253-255

No comments:

Post a Comment