Not just an idea...a life changing experience.

Freedom Thirty Five is all about experiencing life, not waiting until I'm 65 to retire. I want to see things I have never seen, meet new people, take on new challenges, make new friends and reconnect with old ones.



Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 85-87 – Grand Teton National Park – May 17th-19th, 2011

On the way to Jackson, I had caught a glimpse of Grand Teton, and managed to snap a few photos, now I was ready to really explore the park.  I went for the Moose, visitors center to find out what trails were the best.  Unfortunately I was informed that everything was snowed covered.  I decided on a backcountry expedition, solo, with skis.  I was informed that both bear danger, and avalanche danger was very high.  The park ranger asked me if I had a beacon, probe and shovel which I did, and I brought with me.  She also equipped me with a bear proof canister for my food.  The canister is essentially a 2 gallon barrel made of heavy duty plastic with a lid that is so difficult to open it took me 5 minutes to figure out, hopefully I’m smarter than your average bear. 
Since it was spring, and like everywhere else the Tetons had a heavy snowfall this past winter, the avalanche danger was high.  In fact 2 guys had been killed 2 weeks earlier, on a climb.  They were found still in their tent.  I took the ranger’s advice and did a hike into a canyon with shallow slopes, and lowest level of danger.  I took the required gear, probe, shovel, and beacon.  Although I thought it was a bit odd since the beacon only works if there is someone else there to look for you.  If I was buried I have maybe 45 minutes to live, so unless someone is right near me when the slide occurs, a beacon will only help them find my remains.  However I figured maybe I would find someone else in the same canyon. 

After loading up my back, and strapping my skis, and boots on the pack too (pack weight was about 70 lbs!)  I headed in, luckily only ¾ a mile in I had to switch to skis and skins.  This would be my first ever solo backpacking trip, and the first time I ever used my skis and skins on an overnight trip.  Consequently without anyone to share the weight of a stove, tent, shovel and other group gear, I had everything.  No worries, I saw it as an opportunity for some solitude, reading, and honing my skinning and back country skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment