Not just an idea...a life changing experience.

Freedom Thirty Five is all about experiencing life, not waiting until I'm 65 to retire. I want to see things I have never seen, meet new people, take on new challenges, make new friends and reconnect with old ones.



Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 84 – Jackson, Wyoming – May 16th, 2011


That's right a double decker bike
Jackson, Wyoming, not Jackson Hole that refers to the whole area.  My initial reaction was that it was a tourist town, at the entrance to Grand Teton, coupled with the fact that there were a couple ski resorts there I figured no one actually lived there, but I was wrong.  I had made arrangements to stay with a couchsurfer, Julie.  Unfortunately she was busy until 8:30PM, so I had contacted another CSer, Jay, to meet me for dinner at the Snake River brewery.  Jay was new to town but liked what he had found so far.  He had a real job, and was not a ski bum or anything like that.  After dinner I headed to Julie’s place.  Julie had been living in Jackson for 7 years and is an accountant, another person with a real job.  She liked the size of the town, and the access to skiing, and climbing.  I was originally planning to stay only 1 night, but she told me about some easy backcountry skiing at Idaho pass just a few miles up the road.  I decided to give that a go and stayed an extra night.  I hiked up to Glory Pass on my own, enjoyed lunch at the top and then zipped down the descent, a bit steeper that I was ready for, but a few falls and slides later I was back at my car.  I wanted more so I skinned up a gentler slope for a quick second run.  I thought ski season was over, but luckily I was wrong!  I was pretty wore out from the skiing, but Julie texted me to ask if I wanted to go to the climbing gym when she was done work, I could not refuse so off I went.  Julie and Kenny (another CSer in Jackson and friend of Julie’s) pushed me to finish several routes, only after I was completely wore out from bouldering.  We headed back to Julie’s and I rallied (with my friend Coke zero) to serve her my world famous fajitas.
The next morning I headed for Grand Teton, and another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment