Not just an idea...a life changing experience.

Freedom Thirty Five is all about experiencing life, not waiting until I'm 65 to retire. I want to see things I have never seen, meet new people, take on new challenges, make new friends and reconnect with old ones.



Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 4-6


Jeep Odometer


Day 4 = 267028 km
Day 5 = 267298 km
Day 6 = 267388 km

I drove from Richmond to Luray, VA to meet with 14 friends from Greenville, for a weekend of fun.  Along the way I managed to drive about a 40 mile portion of skyline drive through Shenandoah National Park.  The drive was spectacular, with a series of overlooks and one breathtaking view of the Shenandoah Valley.  The valley is made by the Blue Ridge Mountains to the east and just west is the Alleghany Mountain range.  I met with the group at Luray Caverns, one of the largest cavern systems in the eastern United States.  The guided tour takes you along a lit path that is over 1 mile long.  It includes an organ someone built in the caverns that works by tapping different stalactites and stalagmites with a series of solenoids. Each ‘pipe’ resonates with a different sound creating a musical tone.
In the evenings we cooked, ate, enjoyed the hot tub and a few beverages.  Saturday morning some of the brave souls got up early to ski at the nearby Massanutten ski resort.  Others went off hiking for the day.  Everyone had a great time and celebrations continued into the evening Saturday night.  This was a great way to kick off my trip
Sunday we parted ways, everyone else went back to Greenville, while I drove on to Bloomingdale New Jersey.  I had dinner with Tom Mirabelli’s Parents, and spent the evening there.  They were great hosts and it was nice to have a sit down dinner with them and Tom’s grandmother.  A true New Jersey family experience, full of “forget about it” and all the proper lingo.   They were also kind enough to let me leave my Jeep in their driveway for the week while I visited NYC.

Full Albums for each Day:
FTF Day 4
FTF Day 5
FTF Day 6

No comments:

Post a Comment